Monday, May 07, 2007

Amo Roma, George St, Sydney

Monday 7 May, 2007

My last experience here was in November 2006 - the food was really good but the service left a lot to be desired. Today, my lunch buddy and I sat outside in the small courtyard backing onto the Nurses Walk and looking across to a fabulous antique jewellers.

The website promotes the Amo Roma experience as,

Step through the historic sandstone and stain glass facade, into the stylish and modern Italian restaurant. Situated in the old English, Scottish and Australian Chartered Bank building that was designed by architect William Wilkinson Wardell and built in 1886.

The warm ambiance, delicious food and excellent service ensure a memorable function at Amo Roma. Superbly located, Amo Roma boasting innovative Italian cuisine, a visit to Amo Roma's promises to be very memorable. Its floor to ceiling glass windows enable you to relax and fully enjoy the surroundings.


Entering from The Rocks amongst the hoardes of tourists, Amo Roma offers intriguing architecture - the sandstone facade is quickly dismissed to reveal modern, polished floorboards, glass table tops and blackboards listing the daily specials.

We were welcomed and ordered some drinks to start. Shortly afterwards another waiter appeared to take our order - which would have been fine except we didn't have any menus. These were promptly delivered and we reviewed the offerings that included pasta, burgers, pizza, seafood, veal etc.

I decided to go with pizza and, this made me laugh, I ordered exactly what I ordered last November - Amo roma: tomato, mozzarella, Italian salami, ham, capsicum, mushroom & smoked cheese. However, this time I asked for chilli flakes to sprinkle on top. My lunch buddy ordered the beef burger that was packed full of salad, cheese and large beef pattie along with a massive side of fries.

The meals arrived and looked impressive but, not surprisingly, they forget my chilli flakes. Trying to locate a staff member at this point was near impossible but we managed and I finally got my wish. The pizza was great - thin base and fresh toppings were all the more enjoyable by a generous sprinkle of chilli flakes.

My verdict hasn't changed - the food here is great and reasonably priced but the service is very average.

Amo Roma - 135 George Street, The Rocks - (02) 9247 1920

www.amoroma.com.au

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com


View My Stats

AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Ring Owner: Augustus Gloop Site: Grab Your Fork
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet