Saturday, December 15, 2007

Fisherman's Wharf Seafood Restaurant, Bank St, Pyrmont

Fisherman's Wharf Seafood Restaurant, Bank St, Pyrmont
Saturday 15 December, 2007
Who knew there was yum cha at the Fish Markets? I certainly didn't so it was a real treat to experience it today. When I arrived at the Fish markets this morning I was really impressed to discover parking attendants directing you to the available car spaces - what a nice surprise.
I met my yum cha buddy on the ground floor at the base of the stairs leading up to the restaurant. The entrance is almost directly opposite the Blackwattle Deli. There is a restaurant attendant and counter on the ground floor to direct you upstairs and show you to a table. Up the stairs is a large open dining space with plush blue carpet and formal tables and chairs. To the left is a spectacular fish tank and long bar area. We were seated and my lunch buddy who is very experienced with yum cha and speaks the language took control. This was great as I learnt heaps today.
Did you know you can request several different types of tea? I had always thought that Chinese Tea was jasmine only but my yum cha buddy explained that is is similar to asking for English tea where the varieties are Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Darjeeling etc. Personally, I'm not a fan of tea so was happy for my yum cha buddy to order the Tit-kwon Yan which is a Chinese black tea.
We watched the trolleys and trays go past and decided to start with BBQ pork wrapped in flat noodles and a hefty dose of chilli sauce. This was swiftly followed by vegetable dumplings, fried calamari and scallop dumplings. I was in heaven. I also learnt that if you speak the language you can obtain more food and better yet, request food that hasn't even done the rounds yet! I wanted eggs tarts and was determined to have them before we left but we couldn't see them anywhere. We asked a few people and then my yum cha buddy took control and spoke with someone who returned promptly with 2 egg tarts - sensational!
I was really impressed with the food and as we were settling our bill Luke Mangan from Glass Brasserie, Hilton Hotel arrived for lunch. The bill worked out to be less than $15 each - bargain. Fisherman's Wharf Seafood Restaurant is open for lunch from 11.00 am to 3 pm (Mon-Fri) and 10.00 am - 4 pm (Sat-Sun) and dinner from 5.30 pm to midnight every night.
Fisherman's Wharf Seafood Restaurant - Bank St, Pyrmont - (02) 9660 9888

4 Comments:

Blogger grocer said...

you don't have to speak cantonese to ask; you just have to be a little assertive and ask for what you want

9:57 pm  
Blogger Steph said...

Thanks grocer,
I appreciate the post. From my experience it definitely helps to have a native speaker with you at yum cha. But, now that I know a few tips I'll be putting them into practice!
Kind regards,
Steph

10:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steph - Friends had also been recently for Yum Cha and raved about it.

Have just been to Ripples at Chowder Bay - Have you been?

Entrees and Mains were beautiful, but poorly crafted desserts let them down.

Have you been to Element yet?

Cheers

Rodney

9:22 am  
Blogger Steph said...

Hi Rodney,
Thanks for your post. I have been to Ripples and enjoyed it however friends have had mixed experiences there - could be teething issues given how new it is. I'm heading back there shortly so will see how my 2nd visit fares.
Haven't made it to Element yet - it is definitely on list.
Steph

5:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com


View My Stats

AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Ring Owner: Augustus Gloop Site: Grab Your Fork
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet