Monday, August 27, 2007

Via Abercrombie, Abercrombie Lane, Sydney

Via Abercrombie, Abercrombie Lane, Sydney
Monday 27 August, 2007

In my quest to find the best sandwiches in the CBD I returned to Via Abercrombie. The last time I visited this gem I dined in and received my sandwich on a silver platter. Would it travel back to the office? Would the filling fall out at my desk?

In response to my review of Via Abercrombie I received several recommendations for North's Complete Sandwich. So, I put them to the test last week. Whilst I was impressed with the size and taste - it was so difficult to eat. I ended up with half of it on my desk!

When I returned to Via Abercrombie today I was annoyed I had left it till after 12.30pm. The queue was out the door and starting to snake down the lane. I joined and within minutes another foodie buddy arrived by sheer coincidence. We spent about 15 minutes in the queue chatting about what to order.

By the time we reached the counter I had changed my mind several times. Would I stick to what I know - BBQ Chilli chicken on wholemeal or try something new? My foodie buddy suggested a few sandwiches to try as she has sampled them all but indicated that the favourite is Tuna with polish pickle. I decided to go with Ham on wholemeal.

We were warmly greeted at the counter and watched in awe as the thick slices of bread were cut from the loaf and the sandwiches expertly prepared. The Ham sandwich comes with avocado spread, thinly sliced ham, bocconcini, roma tomatoes and fresh basil. It looked sensational. My foodie buddy ordered the Tuna which came with mayo, polish pickle and tuna spread generously across wholemeal bread. For $7.50 each - the sandwiches are less than North's Complete Sandwich but not as large.

We walked out of the small, crowded space and my foodie buddy had a brilliant idea. Why don't we go halves? This was I could try both - yes please! We exchanged halves and re-wrapped them in foil. After a short walk back to the office I unwrapped my sandwich at my desk and was impressed. Which side to try first?

In all honestly I was bowled over by the Tuna. It was so tasty and the polish pickle was a complete standout. The pickle was marinated in vinegar and was well paired with the tuna spread. I was disappointed that I only had one half! That said, the Ham was very good too and the fresh basil was divine.

At this point, I have to say Via Abercrombie is the front runner.......

Via Abercrombie - Abercrombie Lane, Sydney - (02) 9251 0000

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com


View My Stats

AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Ring Owner: Augustus Gloop Site: Grab Your Fork
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet