Friday, April 20, 2007

Radii, Parliament Square, Melbourne

Radii, Parliament Square, Melbourne
Friday 20 April, 2007

This morning we were treated to a feast. After staying the night at the Park Hyatt (just wonderful with the best beds and pillows I have ever experienced) we re-grouped for a celebration breakfast at Radii.

Radii is located in the Park Hyatt and is their flagship restaurant. It is also the location for guest breakfast. The grand sweeping entrance screams opulence - it's all marble and sweeping staircases. The description they offer is,

Radii is located in the Park Hyatt Hotel, and spills over several levels. The open plan kitchen allows you to watch your meal being prepared, and there is a separate Cuban room for smokers. Radii is an over-the-top dining experience, where the extravagant decor is matched by audacious culinary creations. For the full effect, try the degustation menu. The service is world class and the wine selection is distinguished.

We were seated in the rear of the dining space and ordered tea/ coffees. The breakfast buffet is quite overwhelming with a range of hot and cold options. From the cold options we had cereals e.g. bircher muesli, yoghurt's, fruits, cold meats, cheese, freshly baked breads and juices. From the hot options we had a selection of eggs, bacon, sausages, roasted tomatoes, hash browns and grilled mushrooms. We were able to request our eggs to order so most of us went with poached eggs on sourdough.

I commenced with some fresh fruit and bircher muesli - it was absolutely delicious, sweet and creamy and I could easily have eaten a whole bowl but I wouldn't have been able to finish my eggs! During this we were surprised by the arrival of a bottle of Moet & Chandon. WOW! Five champagne flutes appeared and we watched in awe as it was poured.

After a celebratory toast our eggs arrived. We returned to the hot buffet to pile up our plates with sides - I tried a bit of everything - bacon, hash browns, mushrooms. My breakfast buddies and I enjoyed every mouthful and made the most of the experience. I mean, how often do you get to live it up at the Park Hyatt?
The downside? I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record here but it was the service. We had a seek out a staff member to order tea/ coffee and eggs. There seemed to be void around our table.

Radii - Park Hyatt, 1 Parliament Square, off Parliament Place, Melbourne - (03) 9224 1234

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Steph, you are back in Melbourne again?

I hope you can try what I recommended to you before.

* Il Dolce Freddo Gelato
* Da Noi
* Jamon Sushi
* Tempura Hajime.
* Yu U

The last four are as quirky as Melbourne dining gets. But anyhow, I bet you none of them are available in Sydney. =)!

2:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ups, I almost forgot.
Make sure to try Bar Lourinha as well.
I guess it's one of the hot spots for tapas in Melbourne.
Interested to hear how it fares against your Sydney's favorite, Firefly.

2:14 am  
Blogger Steph said...

Thanks Anon,

This was a fleeting visit and I didn't have any time to try your suggestions. I'm aiming to return to Melbourne later this year.

Thanks again for the tips - I sincerely apprecaite them.

Steph

1:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com


View My Stats

AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Ring Owner: Augustus Gloop Site: Grab Your Fork
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet