Friday, May 18, 2007

Vacca Bianca, Clark Rd, North Sydney

Vacca Bianca, Clark Rd, North Sydney
Friday 18 May, 2007

Lazar's occupied this corner site for many years. I remember going past in the bus around Christmas time and it looked like the signage had changed overnight. It's now known as Vacca Biana - an Italian restaurant offering indoor/ outdoor seating. They kept the look and feel of Lazar's but added a wood fire pizza oven and gelateria.

Tonight, I stopped by on my way home to check it out. There was a decent crowd in the restaurant and a few locals standing around the wood fired pizza oven waiting for takeaway. I decided to chat to the pizza maker to see what the all the fuss was about. Italian born with a gorgeous accent my friendly pizza maker walked me through his favourites:

- Dodici: prosciutto, rocket and Parmesan
- Nove: mushrooms, ham and Gorgonzola
- Quattro: Gorgonzola, pecorino, feta and Parmesan
He did all this whilst kneading 3 pizza bases and expertly layering simple, fresh ingredients on top before gliding them onto the pizza tray and sliding them into the hot oven. I watched in awe. Despite, the recommendations I opted for the Quattordici which was topped with prosciutto, salami, chilli, ham, bacon and Gorgonzola.

After a few minutes in the wood fired oven the pizza was presented in a white cardboard box. My new favourite pizza maker sent me on my way with a cheeky grin and a warm goodbye.
The verdict on my pizza? The thin pizza was perfect and had bubbled around the edges which gave it a mild smokey flavour. The toppings were sparse and a little too salty for my liking. I know....with toppings like prosciutto, bacon and Gorgonzola what did I expect?
Would I return? Absolutely. Next time I will try one of the friendly pizza maker's suggestions.
Vacca Biana - 62 Clark Rd, North Sydney - (02) 9955 9711

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com


View My Stats

AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Ring Owner: Augustus Gloop Site: Grab Your Fork
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet