Friday, November 02, 2007

International Diethnes Cakes & Coffee, Lonsdale St, Melbourne

International Diethnes Cakes & Coffee, Lonsdale St, Melbourne
Friday 2 November, 2007

Today I was in Melbourne for a whistle stop visit. I flew in early and out late - joy! My driver from the airport shared a wonderful story about this fabulous cake shop on Lonsdale St that was in walking distance to the office that I simply had to try.....well, if you insist! I certainly don't need my arm twisted to try a cake shop.
With a Greek theme and offering a large glass case of cakes, sweets etc down the right side and plenty of seating down the left, including a few tables & chairs outside - this place is a find! It is open from 8am - midnight daily which is impressive, so it's no wonder it is a favourite with taxi drivers all over Melbourne.
I wandered in early morning and was overwhelmed by the selection of cakes and sweets. There were so many to choose from! I made some small talk with the staff and enquired about their specialities which included,
  • Kataifi (a pastry that looks like it is wrapped in shredded wheat with nuts on the inside and soaked in a sugar),

  • Dipples (deep fried Greek pastry which is a cross between a doughnut and a funnel cake), Glykismata (made with a combination of honey, nuts, custards and filo),

  • Baklava (Greek pastry made with honey, nuts and filo dough),

  • Loukoumades (greek version of the doughnut),

  • Koulourakia (a plain, lightly sweetened Greek cookie twist),

  • Kourambiethes (a wonderful Greek cookie covered in powdered sugar) and

  • Amygdalopita (Greek Nut Cake).
I decided to buy morning tea for the team - a selection of baklava - pistachio, walnut and almond. It was an enormous sugar fix and heart stopper but deliciously good and whilst everyone admired the baklava only a few indulged - including me.

The only online description I could find for this gem was,
"Champions of 'the bigger, the better' slogan, this cake house offers many old favourites, including large serves of tiramisu, ginormous eclairs, cannolis, pecan tarts and savoury pastries."

During my visit I also indulged in a coffee and I have to say it was one of the best coffees I ever had. I'll be back.
International Diethnes Cakes & Coffee - 185 Lonsdale St, Melbourne - (03) 9663 2092

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com


View My Stats

AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Ring Owner: Augustus Gloop Site: Grab Your Fork
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet