Thursday, November 10, 2005

Cafe Sydney, Customs House, Circular Quay

Cafe Sydney, Circular Quay
Thursday 10 November, 2005

This is a beautiful setting. I have been waiting for an opportunity to return here and I found it. An old friend had returned to Sydney after living in the US for many years. How does a long lunch sound? Perfect...

Refreshingly, they don't take 2 bookings on the table for lunch, so there is no fear of being turfed out to make way for next guests. Our 12pm lunch reservation continued through to 2.30pm and we were not rushed in any way.

Surprisingly, I knew the waiter - long story but our fathers are good friends and we haven't seen each other for over 10 years. Bonus. Not that I wanted special treatment, but it was really nice to see an old friend in action and I'm really pleased that she didn't offer us any preferential treatment - I would have been disappointed if she had.

Cafe Sydney was busy but this didn't impact the attentiveness of the staff or the food. Our meals were really, really good - I started with the seared cured ocean trout salad with baby beetroot, blood orange, white asparagus, shisho, and lemon creme fraiche that came to the table as big as a main serving and was absolutely delicious - very light and the flavours were well matched. For main I had the woodgrilled tuna with melitzano, fried zucchini flowers, anchovie, garlic and extra virgin olive oil. I cannot complain about the food - it was excellent. As much as I would have loved to indulge in dessert - it was not physically possible.

The wines by the glass were very good and the ambient buzz of the cafe is great - you are not seated too close to other tables, so it is good for a business lunch and equally for a long lunch with a friend.

Cafe Sydney - Customs House, 31 Alfred Street, Circular Quay - (02) 92518683

http://www.cafesydney.com.au

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com


View My Stats

AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Ring Owner: Augustus Gloop Site: Grab Your Fork
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet