Thursday, October 26, 2006

Maitre Karl, High Street, Willoughby


Maitre Karl, High Street, Willoughby
Thursday 26 October, 2006

I loved this place the first time I visited and I put a challenge out there that I would return within a month. I'm impressed to share with you that I have met that challenge head on......

Tonight, after several weeks of raving about this place, I took my family there to experience the French/ Euro food of Karl and his team. I spoke with Karl the previous weekend to make our reservation and I absolutely love his booming, commanding voice.

We arrived tonight and were greeted warmly. Karl works the floor so well and seems to know what is happening at every corner. For a Thursday night Maitre Karl was packed - streams of eager diners kept arriving, some were turned away for not having a reservation.

We ordered the signature dish, Tarte Flambee for entree - Classic with finely sliced onion and bacon and the Special topped with black forest ham, gherkin and mustard. We shared these between the 5 of us. These are like the thinnest pizza you can imagine and served in a rectangle on a large wooden block. The taste is magic - the crispness of the base and savoury taste of the ham and other toppings make this dish very moorish. They were a winner.

For main I had to try their duck - Canard Roti - Oven roasted duck, sweet potato galette, flamed grapes, port wine jus as I had heard such good things. Karl didn't disappoint - this was the most tender, delicious duck I have ever tasted. It was served as two pieces - one leg and one breast with a crispy skin. Just magnificent. My dinner buddies ordered the duck, pork knuckle and barrimundi (which came served in paper that you unwrap).

When you build a place up like I did with Maitre Karl - there is that element of - will they like it, have I gone on a bit much etc - but I'm pleased to report that everyone loved it. So much so, the compliments didn't stop and there are already plans to return.

Maitre Karl - 197 High Street, Willoughby - (02) 9958 1110

http://www.maitrekarl.com.au/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com


View My Stats

AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Ring Owner: Augustus Gloop Site: Grab Your Fork
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet