Saturday, October 28, 2006

Steph's Italian Feast


Steph's Italian Feast
Saturday 28 October, 2006

Don't fall of your chairs (like one of my dinner buddies did when I invited her over for a dinner party at my place). I know, I know......I rarely go all out and cook up a storm but tonight I decided to roadtest some of the Italian recipes I picked up during my travels.

My guinea pigs tonight could not believe they had received an invitation. I am usually invited to their places for dinner (as they are damn good cooks), so I was nervous. But as one rightly pointed out, a night they don't have to cook and have someone else do it for them is a bonus! OK then, it still didn't take the pressure off from trying to impress my fellow foodies - Steph (Meals with Steph), Jen (from SMH Homecook Hero fame) and Gerry (of Italian heritage). What was I thinking!

I spent the morning in Haberfield and the Fish Markets shopping from a list of recipes that I had learnt (which were scribbled down in my journal from the Tuscan and Piedmonte regions). The menu I prepared was:

Entree - Antipasto platter

- Salami
- Prosciutto
- Sicilian olives
- Stuffed peppers with tuna & pesto
- Pesto with Ciabatta bread
- Marinated eggplant
- Fetta
- Marinated artichokes
- Boconchini

First course

- Duck, prosciutto & caramelised onion ravioli

Second course

- Swordfish steaks with lemon
- Tuna & bean salad

Dessert

- Pannacotta & Pistachio gelato
- Almond biscotti with Nonna Angelo (1995)

After days of trying to source the perfect Italian wine I learnt that Vintage Cellars just up the road could provide me with:

- Asti Spumante - Cora - Sweet Sparkling Wine produced in Costigliole D'Asti
- Maroltti Campi - Albiano - Verdechhio Dei Castelli Di Jesi - 2004
- Portone Valpolicella - Anno 2004
- Illuminati Riparosso - Vintage 2004

I'm pleased to share that the night was a complete success - no one left hungry and it's pretty safe to assume that a few people would have woken up with sore heads the next morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com


View My Stats

AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Ring Owner: Augustus Gloop Site: Grab Your Fork
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet